Tuesday, August 3, 2010

"Watching Your Diet" by Felicia Ortega

Some one today asked me, “how did you lose weight, and how was your diet?” I get a little nervous when someone asks me questions, but I’m proud to talk about it so at that moment I didn’t hesitate. Let’s see, I stay away from sugar, I won’t eat anything with sugar in it. For example: chocolate, cupcakes, wafers, ice cream, cookies, pudding, soda, candy, and so much more I can’t even think. I won’t use dressings, my salads are dry or with fat free dressings, and my sandwich is made with whole grain-whole wheat bread, turkey, lettuce, tomatoes, and absolutely no mayo. I can’t eat whole dairy products, so I only eat dairy if its fat free or low fat. Apples and oranges are the best fruit to lose weight; I do eat a lot of them. Don’t forget steamed vegetables are also important too.

I have five to six small meals daily to keep my metabolism going threw out the day, and when you eat your small meals threw out the day, it burns calories on top of eating right. Wouldn’t you agree that’s good your body can do that? You don’t have to feel bad if you miss the gym from all your other things you have to get done every day. After an hour of getting up, I eat breakfast; an apple or orange is good. Two to three hours later I have a snack, a fat free string cheese will work. Another two to three hours I have lunch, a turkey sandwich is delicious. Next time around I have a serving of vegetables for a different snack. Then comes dinner, I like chicken salads. My food choice sometimes changes but I got use to the same food, and it doesn’t seem to bother me.

I will not go out to eat. There are times when you don’t have much of a choice, a family member’s birthday or just a special occasion. When this happens, I will study the menu long and hard, and ask for what I can’t eat to come off. Yes the waiter or waitress gives me a funny look.

Water is very important. Stay away from juices, coffee, and especially beer. One thing I didn’t mention yet, I love soda, so time from time I will reward myself with a diet soda.

Another thing, I will only eat white meat: turkey, chicken, pork, turkey burgers, any white meat.

I need to tell you that I like to spend my free time at the clubs. I love to have a girl’s night and just go out to dance and hear the music. Well you all know, not for everyone, but drinking is a priority when you go out. Not always, but at least for me it is. Drinking alcohol could mean beer or the mixed drinks; mixed drinks are my thing, well I told you, in this diet, you can’t have juices, and the drinks are usually made with juice or sodas, so what do I do? I ask for my drinks to be made with diet soda. If they don’t carry diet, then I just don’t drink, that simple. For me and others, dancing is something joyful, so on top of a girl’s night I get to burn calories as well.

I am strict with my diet. I decided it was time for me to take charge on my bad eating habits. I was tired of looking at myself and feel unhappy. I noticed I would go to eat out a lot and eat whatever I felt at that moment, it didn’t benefit me. I’m glad and happy to say, I lost 25 LBS. in six months. A goal I accomplished on my own. Everyone from my job, my family members, and my kids, they all noticed, they complement me and are shocked I lost a lot of weight. It makes a difference when you want something and reach for it. It was a sacrifice; it was hard and frustrating at times. When I wanted to eat anything, I always made sure I had something right to eat instead of whatever. This meant a lot to me to mess it up. When you reach for it and get it, it really does pay off in ways you need it to, whatever it is you want to change, do it with confidence and a positive attitude. You want to change something, remember not to cheat yourself.

1 comment: