Wednesday, September 8, 2010

"Campus Village Apartments" by Brendan Scharig

On a hot and sunny Labor Day, I walked out of my dorm room to meet my parents. Coming out of campus village, I got hit with the stench of disgusting, harsh cigarettes buds. I glanced over and saw four college students smoking like chimneys taking up the only spot with seats and shade. That awful smell forced me into the hot blinding sunshine to wait for my parent’s arrival. I felt like I was going to burn up from the sun’s blazing hot rays. Then the group of college students thankfully left and I could escape horrible heat. I walked over to the shady spot and sat down. It felt beautiful to feel the freezing temperature in the shade. The cement felt like a cold ice block when I sat down.

I saw a 2000 black Ford Excursion turning off Auraria Parkway on to Ninth Street then on to Walnut Street. From behind the Excursion, I was blinded suddenly by a glare. When I looked closer I realized it was the Tivoli student union building standing proud in Denver’s landscape.

Suddenly the RTD light rail appeared. I could see the sun’s blistering heat rays hit the sidewalk. I saw the sun’s rays make the sidewalk ripple like a mirage in the Sahara Desert.

Out of nowhere my parents appeared in their Excursion to drop off clothes, and groceries. As my parents vanish I could still feel the warmth of their hugs.

No comments:

Post a Comment