Monday, April 26, 2010

"Child Without a Father" by Theopiste Uwamurera

I had a conversation with my friend about Catholic priests. My question was: do you think priests should or should not be allowed to have children?

My friend said that priests should be able to get married like other people because they are human beings, and they have feelings as normal people do.

I then said, “Remember that before they decide to be priest, they know that they are normal, but they sacrifice their feelings and the need of having a family because they want to please God.” I continued, “I do not tolerate that priests should be able to have children outside of the church.” I think if a priest is not strong enough to sacrifice his desire, he should quit the priesthood instead of having a child outside the convent.

My friend refuted saying that “If all the priests who have children leave the church, who would give the mass?”

I said, “What a shame to see a priest in front of the people preaching to them how to respect the rules of God, but on the other hand he is giving them a bad example. He is doing what is different with their beliefs.”

I continued, “Many mothers who have children with the priests are ashamed to tell their children who their father is. Do you know how it feels to not know who your father is?”

My friend said, “I know, but a mother does not have another choice because she knows that the church needs a priest, and all the priests who have children support their mothers financially.”

I told her “I respect your ideas, but I disagree with you”. There is no reason to have many priests who are not following the Catholic rules, instead it could be better if we have few priests who are faithful and know what to do.

No comments:

Post a Comment