Thursday, April 21, 2011

"I Want a Sister" by LaQueta McCauley

For about for years now my seven year old daughter has been informing me that she desperately wants a little sister. Actually she needs a baby sister, and quick! I also have two sons, both of which are typical boys. The oldest is JaVaughn. He is two years older than my daughter Jananya. Then there is the youngest boy Jaylen whom is three years younger than Janaya. And although he is the baby make no mistake he is still a boy. She is the middle child AND the only girl. She is not handling that as well as I hoped.

One day I decided to ask why she wants a sister so bad. At first I thought it was because her little brother refused to the regular client in her home beauty shop any longer, but she told me that wasn’t it. Then, I assumed she wanted someone whom had the same interests as her and would play tea party the proper way. I asked if that was why and she said nope, that’s not it. So I simply asked her why, and she replied “the boys are always messing with me so if I had a sister she could beat up Jaylen while I get JaVaughn.

I wasn’t sure whether to laugh or preach so I did a little of both. “So what happens when the little sister sticks around after the brawl and wants to play with ALL of your toys”, I asked. She looked confused. I guess she never thought of that. So she responded, “Never mind, I want a dog instead”. Now I’ve already learned why she feels she needs backup. So I informed her she didn’t need a dog OR a babysitter. That although I’m big, I am still a girl. Therefore, she has a level playing field if she would just train me in the techniques of torturing boys; it had been awhile for me. So with a huge excited smile she prepared me for our mission “Operation Kick Butt”.

We tethered sheets together and grabbed flashlights. We gathered ammo and launchers for the battle. We cut and taped all while the boys ignored us and continued to wrestle, argue, eat and play. We had all day to figure out how to revenge beach Barbie and her poor puppy both of which, due to the boys, are no longer with us. We hid in my closet for seemed like forever until finally the boys started to wonder. JaVaughn came in my room and me and Janaya has taken our positions. Next Jaylen came in behind him and looked around. “Where are they?” I heard JaVaughn ask. Before Jaylen could respond to him we hammered them with spit balls, water-balloons, & dirty socks. I threw on the sheet with holes cut out for the eyes and leaped from the closet screaming in a ghostly voice “leave your sister alone”!

All I heard were footsteps leaving the vicinity and I removed the sheet looking for Janaya so we could celebrate the success of the mission. I looked for her but she was nowhere to be found. I called downstairs for the kids and found them all hiding in the laundry room absolutely petrified. Including Janaya. After about 15min of consoling the completely terrorized children I decided she needed a sister. But for now a life size doll that talks and poops is a close as it gets. I apologized with ice cream and we are all friends again.

No comments:

Post a Comment