Thursday, July 29, 2010

"Always Prepared" by Katie McCusker

Being overly prepared is certainly my specialty. Not having something that I could possibly need in a thousand years freaks me out. This goes for everything from camping, traveling, parties or having a simple BBQ at the pool.

I’m not really sure where it comes from, but it’s probably something that my mom subconsciously passed onto me while preparing for family road trips as an impressionable child. I only started noticing this about myself a few years ago, the compulsion to always be prepared in any situation.

Going on simple trips never really ends up being very simple. You would think a two day camping trip would be easy enough to pack for, but not for me. I always over pack. The key to over packing is taking everything you would normally use at home, and tripling it.

For the most recent camping trip, I ended up with two large bags of belongings. Since camping can be quite unpredictable, it only makes sense to me that I would need this much stuff. The basics for each day, and then add more and more for every possible disaster.

What if I lost my sunglasses in the water? Well I would pack two extra. What if it did nothing but rain the whole time? I would need extra socks to change every few hours and extra dry sweaters. Just to rotate these items so I am not completely miserable and wet; makes me feel much better about going into the great outdoors.

Even when having a party or BBQ, I always make sure there is more than enough food to feed everyone. I always end up over buying for these functions. There is nothing worse than going to someone’s event starving and leaving the same way. It is my responsibility to make sure that my guests have a great and memorable time. Who would have a great time if they are starving, and the only thing they could remember is that I can’t even organize a simple BBQ and have enough food for everyone. The guest counting down the minutes till it is socially acceptable to leave and go ravage their refrigerator at home.

Although it can be a hassle and time consuming to do these things, in the end I am the one that is dry, happy and full. I am the way I am, and these little quirks make me that way. Without them I would be a boring, uninteresting person with nothing to offer the world.

No comments:

Post a Comment