Thursday, July 29, 2010

"Visiting Colima" by Anahi Sebastian

As Mexicana Airlines flight 3144 rapidly landed in Guadalajara Mexico airport, and I unbuckled my seatbelt, my nostrils inhaled the salty smell of the near ocean waves, something much more pleasing then my neighbors’ yucky armpits. I headed towards the taxi station with my purple over packed luggage full of goodies for my family, the desperate taxi drivers fought to get passengers, and without notice the driver instantly ingested me into his taxi, and drove me to Colima, my home.

As the four hour drive from Guadalajara to Colima along the crappie uneven roads turned into six, I sat in the uncomfortable gray torn back taxi seat. The scent of the conductors’ cigarette made me nauseous in the back taxi seat. Rolling down the squeaky window, I could perceive the love coming out of peoples cement houses, saw children fighting for a rusty bike, missing a wheel; A lady with her round honey basket over her dark brown hair, selling delicious Mexican pastries, a bundle of Coconuts in the palms scattered through out the city, and Fresh Shrimp, Lobster, fish and varieties of seafood sold in every mini market. My ears heard Noisy juice makers, dogs barking, chickens clucking, and women gossiping in sidewalks, as the beat of their broom created a melody, swoosh. swoosh. Swoosh.

I didn’t Realize I fell asleep until the sound of beeeeeep… beeeeeeep woke me up, from the aggressive drivers. As I saw soccer players in a nearby park with a water fountain, I realized I was almost home. I opened my black guess wallet and gave the taxi driver one hundred pesos; He parked beside my lime green house, between the two lemon trees that are along the sidewalk, and unloaded my luggage and zoomed away.
Once I saw my grandpas gray head over the black front gate, and his sweet smile aiming towards me, I felt I was where I belonged; I was home. The aroma of my grandmother yeyas homemade corn tortillas, pork tamales, chicken enchiladas and famous pozole led me towards her kitchen, Decorated with red apples and a picture of the last super above the rectangular kitchen table, filled with happiness and delicious food. My ten day visit back home had just begun.

No comments:

Post a Comment