Tuesday, May 3, 2011

"Divorce" by Nicole Rangel

When I was six years old I lived in a nice big house. My parents let me do anything in the house like play with toys. But it was crowded because a lot of us lived there, my mom, sister, dad, my nanny and her son. There were a lot of us but it was so much fun because I got to do a lot of things like play with my nanny and do cool things out- side with her. She was like my other mom when my real mom went to work. I thought my life couldn’t get any better. We got a big dog named Rusty for my sister and I but the funny thing was it had to stay in this cage in our backyard because it was mean so we couldn’t even play with the dog only look at it because it would bite us if we tried to touch the dog.

Once we got the dog, things didn’t go so well with my parents during the day. When they would both be home at the same time I kept on hearing them yell at each other. At first, I thought they were playing with each other because I would yell at my sister, when we would play so I let it go the first couple of times. I didn’t think it was that important and everything would be fine. One day when everyone was home I was looking downstairs through the railing since my head was able to fit. I would look all the way down the stairs so that I could see everything. I heard my dad tell my nanny and her son “I am very sorry but you and your son can’t live here anymore and that we’re going to have to let you go we are really sorry!” I started to cry when I heard that because my nanny was everything to me and her son was like a brother that I never had. It was a tough day for all of us because my sister and I were very confused about what was going on. We would ask my parents why they had to do that to us my parents said “It was for the best we didn’t need her anymore.” I was so mad I walked away and went to my room; I started to cry I didn’t know what to do about what just happened. I was hurt; a little part of me was gone. The next morning my parents started to fight again but I didn’t think anything could have gotten worse, but it did. My mom said” You can take the couches; I don’t want them you need something to sleep on.” My dad said “Okay I will and I think that the girls should stay with you since they are still young, they still need their mother for a while.” When they said that I went down stairs and asked them what was going on because I don’t like the fighting. They both said “sorry but we have to talk to you and your sister right now about something very important.”

My mom told us that my dad wasn’t going to be living with us. He is moving to a different place and that you guys will be living with me. I was so confused on what was happening until I actually saw my dad get his things and said his good bye and left at that moment. I had fallen apart; I just lost my dad too. Every night I would cry because my dad wasn’t there. I wanted him to come back so that he could say good night to me. My mom said he wasn’t coming back.

At that time, my mom was a single parent; I didn’t see my dad anymore for a very long time. My mom moved us into an apartment that would just fit us three; it was a hard time to deal with. I started to get anger problems and made holes in the walls and doors of my room. I would put holes in the walls and just scream at my mom for letting my dad leave and not have him come back to us.

After the divorce went through I was able to see my dad only every other weekend so it wasn’t that long but at least I was able to see my dad. After that day everything in my life had changed. Who I am now, shows that I got through it and got stronger. When I got older I got the choice to decide who I wanted to live with so I chose to live with my dad and see my mom whenever I wanted and it was the best thing.

No comments:

Post a Comment