Monday, November 15, 2010

"The Last Day" by Eleana Flores

Brenda was a hard working girl, with a child and bills to pay. She was a single mom with a child support payment that couldn’t get her through the month with diapers. Her job wasn’t paying her enough either. It was getting frustrating and overwhelming for her. She was going part-time to school but it was getting harder every day. Her son was at that age where he couldn’t stand still. He wanted to put everything in his mouth and wanted to crawl everywhere. She knew something had to be done.

It was September 18, 2010, Brenda woke up at 6 a.m. At this time her son was waking up to get fed. She had to go to work at 11 and had a million things to do. The first thing was to get her room cleaned up and give her son a bath. Then do laundry and start making her lunch for the long day at work. Today she was doing a 10 hour shift. She hated these days especially on a Saturday. What she wanted to do was to spend time with her son and relax. However, she knew that wasn’t going to happen.

It was 10:35 when she got her things ready to leave. She gave her son a big kiss, told him she’ll see him tonight and said bye to her mom. She got to work and the pressure was already on her. Things had to get done for the Halloween and Christmas season and she had not even started. She was the Jewelry Lead getting paid at 7.28 an hour. She had two other associates working with her but they didn’t do much work. Even though she told them since she was their manager they just ignored her. Sometimes they would help and sometimes they would leave her to do all the work. Today she wanted to get all her freight out. There was so much but her store manager wanted Halloween stuff out. Today wasn’t going to be a good day, she could feel it.

She got started on Halloween freight as soon as she clocked in. Right when she started her morning supervisor asked her to help her do other stuff. She didn’t complain she just walked behind her thinking, why am I here? Once she was done doing what was asked of her she went in and talked to her HR manager about the raise they were suppose to give her 4 months ago when she became the lead. All the HR manager said was that she was still waiting for it to be approved. Brenda couldn’t take any more pressure for only 7.28 an hour.

The following day she was supposed to work from 8 to 4. Brenda called her job around 7 a.m.

“Hi, it’s me Brenda can I talk to whoever is manager right now?” she asked.
“Yeah, hold on,”

When the manager answered and asked what was the reason she was calling in, Brenda told her what was on her mind.

“You know I don’t think I deserve to be getting paid 7.28 an hour for a lead position. The pressure you guys put me through to get stuff done it’s not worth it. I’m sorry but I’m not going in unless you guys give me a raise.”
“Oh well are you quitting.”

“If you guys give me a raise, then no. However if I don’t get a raise yes I am quitting. I have things to pay and diapers to buy, 7.28 an hour is too little. I mean you try doing your job for that much.”

“Well, I’m sorry but I can’t do anything about it. I’ll talk to the HR manager and tell her to give you a call ok.”

“OK then bye.”

That was the last day Brenda talked to her manager and the last day of her job. They never called her back.

No comments:

Post a Comment