Tuesday, December 7, 2010

"Spar and the Squirrel" by Dominique Gonzales

The other day I got board and decided to go outside in the front yard. It was such a nice day for being October. The sun was out shinning around a blue sky with only a couple of clouds in sight just to the west. There was a slight breeze in the air just enough to make the trees branches sway just a little making the leaves that were left on the branches fall to the ground, and on the ground tumble around making a scraping noise followed by the crunch of the leave when they broke form being dry.

I looked around to admire everything and noticed that there was a brown and black face staring at me through our front window. I laughed as Spar sat there with a sad look ok on her black and brown face, her light brown hair on her back stood up as if she was wondering why I had not let her out, and her tail was wagging like she knew I was going to let her come in the front with me. But the reason I had not let her out in the first place is because all though she is a very good dog and listens she is also very wild and hyper. She cant help but jump on everyone, and chase everything. Even though she don’t leave the yard people walk around our block and some are old people I didn’t want her to go at them fast. Her size could hurt someone if she’s coming at you.

I opened the door and let her out. She ran straight for the leaves playing and jumping in them. Laughing at her I had a seat on the front step and decided to just watch her as she played and had fun. But when I didn’t expect it she seen a squirrel out the corner of her eye. For some reason I knew she would go for the squirrel because they look like rats with fur and anything with fur she goes for fore sum reason. So sure enough as the squirrel looked at her she did. She sprinted with excitement towards it. I knew she would not get it because squirrels are pretty fast, but she might give it a run for its life. The squirrel ran right to the only tree we had in our yard and she was right behind it trying to get up there but she couldn’t. After jumping up the tree making scuff marks with her nails all on the trunk for about 5 minuets, she decided not to leave but to relax and sit right at the bottom of the tree waiting for the squirrel. I felt so bad because the squirrel had no where to go and it just looked at Spar and Spar just lay on the broken leaves on the ground looking up at the squirrel. It seemed like she was just taunting the little squirrel. And the squirrel didn’t want to move it seamed afraid of what might happen if it was to fall.

After another couple of minuets spar took her eyes off of the squirrel got up walked over to the stairs where I was sitting and sat on her back legs right next to me. I looked at the tree with very few leaves on it and seen that the squirrel had noticed she had moved. Will the squirrel come down now? I wondered. It made its way gently and as quietly as possible. It came straight down the trunk and was still looking to see if Spar was looking, she wasn’t. But as soon as the squirrel touched the grass Spar took off again at it knocking me on the ground in the process. The squirrel took off to the other yard as fast as it could with Spar right behind it but as it passed the driveway it was in the clear. Spar had stopped knowing she could not go beyond that. I sat there laughing as Spar turned and had a frustrated look on her face. I said “ Well better luck next time girl.” But I knew that that squirrel was grateful that she didn’t get it. I was too, because she could have got sick. But it was just one of the funniest things I have seen my dog do.

No comments:

Post a Comment